Featuring: Members of the Debra Bonner Unity Gospel Choir
Members of the Debra Bonner Unity Gospel Choir will join us in this commemorative celebration in honor of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., his life and legacy. The Unity Gospel Choir is a diverse group of singers who have performed at the Stadium of Fire, the National Convention of the NAACP in San Antonio, Texas, the Eccles Theater, the Temple at Har Shalom Park City, and the Tabernacle on Temple Square, to name just a few places of import. The breakfast will formally kick-off the Academy in addition to paying tribute, and will include an introduction of the faculty.
Breakfast will be served. Tickets are included with Academy registration. Guest tickets: $40.00.
- Chilled Orange and Cranberry Juices
- Assorted Breakfast Pastries and Muffins
- Creamery Butter and Preserves
- Fresh Sliced Seasonal Fruit and Berries
- Individual Low-Fat Yogurts
- Scrambled Eggs with Local Promontory Cheddar Cheese
- Crisp Bacon and Sausage Links
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Peppers and Onions
- Freshly Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee
PLEASE NOTE: Buffet items will be labeled to accommodate dietary restrictions on a limited basis.
SLIG Academy Central
Open Monday through Thursday, 9:00am–5:30pm; Friday 9:00–11:30 am and 1:30–2:30 pm
Join us here to enjoy a mid-morning refreshment break, visit Maia's Bookstore, check out UGA information, buy some SLIG swag, gather information on professional organizations, use the charging stations, and relax.
SLIG Shuttle to the Family History Library (FHL)
Departs in front of the Hilton; drops and picks up in front of the Family History Library.
We realize that researching at the Family History Library is a key part of your SLIG experience. The FHL is a short 3-block walk, but then Salt Lake City blocks are not very short (each one equals 1/8 mile). Therefore, an Academy courtesy shuttle sponsored by SLIG will run on a limited schedule after classes Tuesday through Thursday and after the luncheon on Friday, with return trips from the FHL before it closes. The FHL closes at 5:00 pm on Monday, making a shuttle that day impractical.
AncestryProGenealogists: Networking Event
Tuesday, 21 January 2020, 6:00–8:00 pm, Ancestry offices
Mingle with fellow professionals, enjoy drinks and light refreshments, and chat with professionals who work at AncestryProGenealogists. Held at the Ancestry office not far from the Hilton; RSVP to attend on special events registration form.
Wednesday, 22 January 2020, 7:00–8:30 pm
Join your colleagues to discuss topics relevant to your professional careers. Very light snacks will be served. Participants will be able to select one of the following topics to join with special events registration:
- Business: Managing Time and Work
- Business: Successful Marketing Strategies
- Clients: Compensation and Fees
- Clients: Contracts and Clauses
- Clients: Relations and Expectations
- Copyright and Fair Use
- Credentialing: AG
- Credentialing: CG
- DNA: Ethical Business Practices
- DNA: Research Standards
- Professional Development
- Speaking: Preparing for the Lecture Circuit
- Writing: Getting Published (non-peer-review)
Closing Luncheon and Keynote
Friday, 24 January 2020, 12:00–1:30pm
Keynote: "The Secret of Your Success: Networking Your Way to a Profitable Career"
Kory L. Meyerink, MLS, AG, FUGA
Genealogists love what we do. Armed with amazing skills, a lot of persistence, and a heavy dose of self-reliance, we dig into the past with vigilance. Alone. Which could be a recipe for disaster, since our success is often directly tied to our ability to find the right answers, and the right people to work with.
Forty years in genealogy has given Kory Meyerink the opportunity to be involved in every aspect of this important and growing field. He has conducted research for clients and companies, mentored other genealogists, worked at the Family History Library, and written chapters and books. He was the first acquisitions manager for a fledgling company now known as Ancestry, co-founder of ProGenealogists, and continues with AncestryProGenealogists as a research manager and a Master Genealogist. Somewhere along the way, he found time to serve on the board for the Utah Genealogical Association and launch the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG)!
Closing luncheon tickets are included with Academy registration; RSVP required with special events registration. Guest tickets: $45.00.
Herb Breast of Chicken, Lemon Scented, Spinach Salad with pears and pecans with port wine vinaigrette, Quinoa and Chick Peas, Roasted vegetable Medley, Flourless Chocolate Cake.
- Diabetic: Regular menu with dessert substitution (Fresh Mixed Berry Cup)
- Gluten Free: Grilled chicken (dessert is gluten free)
- Vegetarian and Vegan: Spinach Salad with pears and pecans with port wine vinaigrette, Eggplant Coconut Curry over Jasmine Rice, and Fresh Mixed Berry Cup
- Nut Allergies: Regular menu with no nuts on the salad
- Lactose Free: Regular menu with dessert substitution (Fresh Mixed Berry Cup)
- Other: Multiple allergies and dietary concerns may be outlined during registration for the chef to review. Results will be outlined on the dietary ticket provided to you at on-site registration.
Academy Workshop for Professionals
Friday, 24 January 2020, 2:00–5:30pm
Two amazing workshops to help professionals improve their daily work life will be offered. Sponsored by AncestryProGenealogists and Legacy Tree Genealogists. Open to both SLIG and Academy participants; registration with special events. Read more here.
SLIG Day at the Family History Library
Saturday, 18 January 2020, 1:30–11:00pm
Sponsored by ICAPGen and hosted by the Family History Library, the afternoon will include classes and labs, consultations, orientation tours, light refreshments, and time to relax and research.
The evening will include the opportunity for extended research until 11:00pm for those who choose to stay.
For information on classes and labs, please check out the SLIG Day at the FHL page.